Common reasons why psychological assessment and testing may be recommended include:
- Concerns about cognitive and intellectual functioning
- Learning problems and problems at school; determination of a learning disability
- Determination of giftedness
- Understanding the cause of attention and concentration problems, such as ADHD
- Understanding the causes of emotional and social problems
- Clarifying diagnosis
- Assessing personality functioning
- Assessing for brain damage or neuropsychological deficits
Psychological Assessment or Psycho-educational Testing by a psychologist can be extremely useful in providing clarity about the causes of various emotional, psychological, cognitive, learning, and behavioral problems of a child, adolescent, or adult.
Psycho-educational Testing is helpful for those who are struggling academically; to enable a greater understanding of their strengths and challenges, and to determine if they require extra resources within the academic setting. This type of testing also allows for a determination to recommend special accommodations for standardized testing when necessary.
Psychological assessment and testing are performed by the administration of several empirically validated tests that compose a “test battery.” The assessment also involves one or more interviews, and a review of records. These measures can provide helpful information for clinical and educational purposes.